East bound and down… Loaded up and truckin’ is all I keep hearing rattling around in my brain as I get ready for American Truck Simulator to be released. As a child of the 70’s I grew up watching the iconic truck driving movies like Smokey and the Bandit and Convoy but never thought I would get the chance to live them in VR.
SCS Software has released their follow up to their very popular Euro Truck Simulator 2. Admittedly I never thought I would like Euro Truck as much as I do, but great VR implementation can do that to a person! As an American I can’t wait to drive through some familiar territory.
American Truck Simulator once again puts you into the role of a driver for hire who has the potential to climb the ladder to be an owner/operator of their own truck and players can even set out to create one of the largest transportation companies in the United States. The game mechanics will be familiar taking a page from Euro Truck Simulator 2 and have been expanded a bit to create a captivating experience.
- Drive highly detailed truck models officially licensed from iconic truck manufacturers.
- Your truck is your new home. Make it yours by changing cabins, chassis, paintjobs, adding tuning accessories or more powerful engines.
- Lots of different cargoes to choose: From food to machinery to hazard cargoes.
- Multiple types of trailers – from reefers to flatbeds, from dumpers to lowboys and goosenecks.
- The longest trailers (up to 53 ft) will challenge your skills and patience while hauling and during parking.
- Deliver your cargoes to a rich variety of companies and locations like refineries, oil storage, gas stations, car factories, or roadworks.
- Various simulation settings for trucking enthusiasts: Air brake simulation; different types of brakes: retarder, Jake brake, trailer brake; multiple types of transmissions straight from real trucks, brake intensity, and more.
- Feel like inside a real cabin: Adjust your seat, mirrors and position your head to get the best view of the road.
- Drive safely, follow the rules and speed limits – police will fine you if you aren’t careful!
- Ensure that you are not delivering overweight cargo – you may be checked at the weigh scales.
- Use the route adviser as your personal assistant during the travels.
- Try the life of a truck driver for hire. By delivering the cargoes safely and improving your skills, become the owner of your own, successful company!
- Build your own fleet of trucks, buy garages, hire drivers, manage your company for maximum profits.
- Make your trucking time better by listening to your favorite songs via built-in music player or streaming your favorite radio stations.
- Capture your favorite moments with a photo mode offering rich set of editing options.
- Great support for steering wheels, gamepads and other input devices.
- Long-time support of the game, including new features.
- Obtain challenging Steam achievements and collect all hand-painted Steam trading cards.
All I can say is I can’t wait to see what fun times are to be had hauling cargo across the USA and building my trucking empire! 10-4 good buddies… Catch ya on the flip flop █-)
About SCS Software
Brought to you by vrgamerdude of the VR Spies